- To equip pupils with analytical skills
- To equip pupils with wide-ranging skills in media technology and ICT
- To give pupils the confidence to express themselves both individually and as part of a team
- To develop in pupils’ the ability to ask questions and to be inquisitive, in order to make balanced judgments
Key Stage 3
At this level pupils are introduced to the creative element of Media Studies. Pupils will create a media text and then evaluate their work over a 12-week period. The applications used are:
- Year 8: Comic Life to create a comic
- Year 9: Photoshop to create a film poster
- Year 10: iMovie to create a film trailer
This course is part of the media awareness element of the curriculum and relates to what our pupils will study in their multi-modal English paper at GCSE and of course Media Studies GCSE.
Key Stage 4
At this level pupils complete two units from the WJEC Examination Board.
Unit 1 - Investigating the Media
- Pupils will learn about the key concepts of media studies before investigating a media industry in preparation for an exam in June
- This unit is exam based and makes up 40% of the total GCSE mark
- The exam tasks will test pupil’s knowledge and practical/creative abilities
Unit 2 - Creating for The Media
- Investigating & Producing. This unit is assessed internally and makes up 60% of the total GCSE mark.
In Year 11, pupils will be expected to complete two textual analysis that focus on Genre (TV News) and Representation (Gender in Advertising)
In Year 12, pupils will be expected to complete a production based on one of the following forms: film, television, animated film, radio, magazines, music videos, websites and computer games.
BTEC Level 2: Digital Creative Media Production
Exam Board: Edexcel
This course is the equivalent of a GCSE. Pupils are to complete four units that introduce them to media theory and the production processes.
The units studied are:
- Unit 1: Digital Media Sectors and Audiences (external exam)
- Unit 2: Planning and Pitching a Digital Media Product (compulsory unit)
- Unit 3: Digital Moving Image Production
- Unit 6: Website Production
Level 3 - Media Studies
Exam Board: WJEC
The course is made up of four units:
- MS1 and MS2 are part of the AS qualification and are studied in Year 13
- MS3 and MS4 make up the A2 level and are studied in Year 14.
Each unit is worth 25% of a pupil’s A Level grade.
- MS1: Media Representations and Responses
- MS2: Media Production Processes
- MS3: Media Investigation and Production
- MS4: Media: Text, Industry and Audience
Pupils will develop skills in the use of:
- Digital compact cameras
- Digital SLR
- Digital video cameras
- Adobe Photoshop
- Adobe InDesign
- Microsoft Word
- Microsoft PowerPoint
- Apple iMovie
- Video Production
- Event Management
- Public Relations
- Digital Imaging and Graphic Design
Really looking forward to this event on Tuesday @bbcnireland@AgentGerry https://t.co/72bxbnxUF9
McManus. Just thought I'd share the work you're currently doing. Keep going!