The admissions criteria for entry of pupils into Year 8 in September 2017 are shown below.
Admissions Criteria will be applied in the following order:
1. A boy whose brother attends or has attended Belfast Boys’ Model School [see note 1]. This must be indicated on the Transfer Form noting name of brother and dates of attendance.
2. A boy whose sister attends or has attended Belfast Model School for Girls [see note 1]. This must be indicated on the Transfer Form noting name of sister and dates of attendance.
3. The first boy in the family to transfer to a secondary (non grammar) school [see note 1]. This must be indicated on the Transfer Form.
4. A boy whose father has attended the Belfast Boys’ Model School. This must be indicated on the Transfer Form noting name of father and dates of attendance.
5. Those applicants for whom Belfast Boys’ Model School is the closest controlled school (ie straight line distance from home address to the main entrance of the school in Ballysillan Road). In order to ensure accuracy and impartiality, this information will be provided by the Northern Ireland Ordnance Survey Office.
6. In the event of us still not reaching our quota after the application of criteria 1–5, then the final place(s) will be offered to those applicant(s) who live closest to the main entrance to the school (Ballysillan Road). In order to ensure accuracy and impartiality, this information will be provided by the Northern Ireland Ordnance Survey Office.
7. In the event of applicants still tying, boys will be selected for admission of the basis of initial letter of surname (as entered on Birth Certificate) in the order set out below:
D S C O G W X M H Q Y F Z K J E B L Mc U A T N I P R V Mac.
This order was determined by a randomised selection. In the event of surnames beginning with the same initial letter the subsequent letters of the surname will be used in alphabetical order. In the event of two identical surnames the alphabetical order of the initials of the forenames will be used.
1: The definition of ‘child of the family’ covers those children being cared for in the same household by the same parents/carers. Brother/sister is considered to be a child of the family.
2: Should family circumstances change after completion of the Transfer Form, it is essential that the parents/guardians inform the Transfer/Open Enrolment office before 3rd May 2017.
3: All relevant information relating to Criteria 1–6 must be included on the Transfer Form or else it cannot be taken into consideration.
Duty to Verify
The Board of Governors reserves the right to require such supplementary evidence as it may determine to support or verify information on any applicant’s Transfer Form. If the requested evidence is not provided to the Board of Governors by the deadline given, this will result in the withdrawal of an offer of a place. Similarly, if information is supplied which appears to be false or misleading in any material way, the offer of a place will be withdrawn.
Waiting List Policy
Should a vacancy arise after 19 May 2017, all applications for admission to Year 8 that were initially refused along with new applications and applications where new information has been provided, will be treated equally and the published criteria applied.
This waiting list will be in place until the 1st September 2017. If parents/guardians wish to have their son’s name remain on the waiting list, beyond this date, they should inform the school in writing. This waiting list will be in place until 30th June 2018.
The school will contact you in writing if your son gains a place by this method.
Please contact the school should you wish to have your son’s name removed from the list.
A copy of the admissions criteria is available as a Word document: Admissions Information